Public Carriage Office (PCO)

Hylton-Potts - London Based Law Firm Helping People Across the UK since 1999

Public Carriage Office (PCO)

If you have had your Public Carriage Office licence, revoked or wish to appeal a decision look no further. We are experts and have helped many drivers successfully appeal decisions and successfully appeal to the Court.

We can advise if A complaint is made against you as a Private Hire Driver, and other issues with the Transport for London, London Taxi and Private Complaints Department.

Here is a summary of the law which we can help you interpret and overcome the problems.

We have helped hundreds of drivers, including many working for Addison Lee.

We operate highly competitive fixed fees of £295 including VAT

Contact us by phone or email for a free expert opinion.

We have helped hundreds of drivers, including many for Addison Lee and Uber.

The following links are well worth a look:

Black cab drivers/hackney carriage.

We advise black cab drivers and holders of hackney carriage licences with licensing difficulties or appeals. There is a free legal helpline 020 3982 1940 or email

Transport for London (TFL) gives licences to private hire companies like Addison Lee, or Uber, and we help many of them.

General –

Applying for a taxi driver licence –

If you have lived in a country other than the UK for one or more continuous periods of three months or more within the last three years, please download the ‘Living and working abroad’ form and submit this with your application.

Living and working abroad form

Before you can start learning the Knowledge, you need to apply to be a licensed taxi driver and have your application approved.

To apply for a licence, you will need to meet the following criteria:

  • You must be at least 18 years old at the time of applying, although you cannot be licensed until you are 21 years old). There is no upper age limit
  • You must hold a full DVLA, Northern Ireland, or other European Economic Area state driving licence
  • You must have the right to live and work in the UK

You must meet character and medical requirements.

You must be of good character. To establish this you will be required to undertake an ‘enhanced’ criminal records check from the Disclosure and Barring Service (DBS) through - GBGroup

Taxis (black cabs) need to have a taxi vehicle licence before they can be used as a working taxi.

Information for fleet owners

Apply for a private hire driving licence

Apply for a private hire operators licence

The private hire regulations have recently changed. You should familiarise yourself with the changes before submitting your application

When you think of private hire operators you usually think of minicab offices on the high street.  However, there are many different kinds of operator including:

  • Those who only cater for social events such as prom, hen and stag nights and corporate events
  • One person operations offering a chauffeur service
  • Individuals whose principle work is as a tour guide
  • operators who only do contract work, for example school runs for a local council

Apply for a private hire vehicle licence

We operate highly competitive fixed fees. There is a free legal helpline 020 3982 1940 or email

Disclosure and Barring Service (DBS)

If a police record or other database reflected on the DBS is not accurate, and it is causing you difficulty we can help.

We are experts at handling DBS disputes and complaints and taking steps to correct incorrect data.

This can be important when working with children or in relation to a Public Carriage Office licence or other position.

Hylton- Potts can help with problems like this. We operate from London offices but help clients all over the country at highly competitive fixed fees.

There is an office hours free confidential hotline 020 3982 1940 and a 24-hour free confidential email legal help service